This suburb was an old Roman colony, a village of fishermen ruled by the Svevi and the Angionini, but it was also plundered by the pirates that came from the sea side.
The "Torre Saracena" (Saracen tower made in the XVI century) is visible at the present days in memory of this ancient past, the tower is the highest point of the zone, from there was possible to watch all over the zone in order to prevent attacks from the sea in the old times.
A walk around the little streets of the village has to past from the ancient monuments: the church and convent of Santa Rosa and the church of Sant'Antonio. The first church was built in the beginning of the XVI century, at the moment the "Suore Domenicane" (nuns), live in the old structure, they are notorius for an handmade local product called "Sfogliatelle Santa Rosa", an amazing sweets to eat with a sip of Limoncello.
The delicious sweet are not the main important part of this palce, the simple out side of the church is opposite to the impressive inside Baroque style. The Sant'Antonio church has a wonderful bell tower made in majolica, following the amalfitan tradition, also the ancient sagrestia is covered with ancient majolica.
It's possible to see an old "tonnara" (place where the tuna was killed in huge amount), the first of the coast, it was built in the XVIII century and worked for about two centuries.
The "Grotta dello Smeraldo" (smerald cave) is also another unforgettable location to visit, it has been discovered in the XVI century by a local fisherman. This place is rich of stalactites e stalagmites. Inside the cave is possible to see a ceramic creche that has been put on the bed of the sea in 1956, it's also possible to watch an astonishing lights game camparable to those in the most famous caves in the zone.